Friday, February 12, 2010

Where to start?

I dislike coming up with a first blog post, but you have to start somewhere, right? An introduction and a little explanation seems like the most appropriate course of action, so here goes:

I'm an illustrator/artist/designer/person with an art degree who is willing to do a wide variety of things for a paycheck. I also write. It's not my strength. Hopefully this whole blogging bit will help that at some point.

In addition to those things I am the wife of an amazing man, the mother to an even more amazing little girl, and a birth doula (mostly as a volunteer). I love to craft and find the line drawn between "crafts" and "art" to be a bit ridiculous, but I am aware that it is there. My more specific interests include, but are not limited to sewing, printing, bookbinding, cooking, photography, gardening and making lumpy yarn things that pretend to be blankets and scarves. I'm better at some of these things than others.

I've taken a couple of previous stabs at blogging, the most successful of which being a sort of sketchbook blog that I added to my portfolio site in order to make updates and announcements infinitely easier on myself (because re-writing code twice a week gets old fast). While I love having a place to share what I'm currently working on, I sometimes find my art blog terribly restrictive due to the fact that it is a part of the website I send all of my potential employers to. That's great for sketches and announcements, but not so fantastic for sharing cloth diaper patterns and gardening strategies!

No comments:

Post a Comment